Friday, August 27, 2010

Another Beautiful Day in Portland











We have lucked out with the outstanding weather, clear and cool, during our visits to the big cities. Portland is no exception. Today I headed to the Portland Art Museum downtown.
I was ready not to watch the people, but look at some art. The museum is in the 'cultural district' where the history museum is located, plus a few live theatres and bistros. A beautiful park with statues and fountains - blooming roses - separate the buildings. About 50 skateboarders were hanging out enjoying the cement around the fountain.




The museum, like all I have visited, is a wonderful place full of masterpieces. Portland's museum has exquisite exhibits of Asian and Native American art plus many modern pieces, four floors worth. I stayed the entire afternoon.
On the fourth Friday of the month from 5-8 pm, entrance is free, plus there's free food and music. I was on my way out when I saw the crepe caterer and a string quartet setting up. But I had shopping to do or more walking.
I headed to Lloyd's Center - a huge enclosed shopping area east of Williamette River and near the Convention Center. I was surprised to see an ice rink in the middle of the mall filled with skaters! It was a cool place to be in more than one way. Throughout the mall are very comfortable chairs, usually in pairs with a small table in between. Many were occupied with people sharing conversations, having drinks and snacks.

Today I noticed police out and about more than yesterday. On foot, on bikes, on segways, in cars - they were everywhere.
Tomorrow we leave Portland in the early afternoon and, hopefully, arrive in Klamath Falls at 10:00 p.m. Cindi and Fred will be there to meet us and we can't wait for a visit in a living room, no take out, with some great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment