Thursday, August 26, 2010

Portland











Portland is easy to maneuver as long as you know which way you are going, north, south, east or west, that is. I caught the free light rail intending to walk throughout the town and ending up at Powell's Bookstore, the largest independent store in the USA! Digital boards inform riders of rail and bus information. Portland is a moving city, not only on public transit, but many walkers, bikers and skateboarders (both ride on the sidewalk) and, of course, cars and trucks.

I thought I was following the map, but nevertheless, enjoying the sights and sounds of the city almost gave up my quest --- and just around the corner I found Powell's. It was all I had dreamed it to be - 4 or more floors, full shelves everywhere, well-marked, only the sound of turning pages - filled with readers.

A few observations as I spent the afternoon walking:

An Italian Festival in Pioneer Square, free with food and singing, dancing and grape crushing going on for three days

Recycling very accessible. Billboards, store fronts promoting 'green' efforts
Woman riding a bike with a small covered trailer delivering 'take out' from area restuarants
Small cars advertising 'wheels when you need them' - looked like people who ride bikes or take public transit rent the car when they need different wheels.


Portland has a Chinatown


Many more homeless people than other cities, most striking - the young girls who were camped out with all their stuff on the street - and boys, one had a sign "visions of pizza"
Good place to people watch. Usually I take pictures of the outside art, but in Portland the sculptures are here, rather subtle and subdued. The people were more interesting, but my camera doesn't have a good zoom and it's not too cool to get in their faces. Although, I did see people with camera sitting on benches (many places to sit in Portland) zooming in on people.

Lots of music - like drumming on 5 gal. plastic buckets, violin

At the bus and rail stops people reading - didn't see that in the other cities


City center filled with top brand stores: Tiffany & Co., Saks, Nordstorm, Coach, Brooks Brothers, etc. - a few blocks away another "mall" with the same high end stores --


A block of individual "roach coaches" selling any kind of food you want - all painted in different colors and resembled playhouses


Was asked for directions more than once - do I look like I know where I'm going?


Got the feeling people are very tolerable, accepting - considering the diversity of the people within the city.
Many young people - University of Portland within city limits - ? Or, they like the social life - many cafes, bars, - seemed like a lot of groups of 3 or 4 doing the city.















2 comments:

  1. A good friend, who has taught 7th graders in Ceres for the past 26 years, is hanging on for two more and then plans to move to Portland. She waits in happy anticipation. I will share your view of her chosen city. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I'm sure if I were longer I could get a real feel for the city. There are many apartments above the offices so I figure a lot people live in the city center. Also, there's an interesting combination of old and new in the architecture, and the river runs through the city with parks (like a mini Chicago) I added a few other remarks. Lucky her!!

    ReplyDelete