Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back on Track in Minneapolis/St. Paul










After a day's rest, we are back on track, literally. Yesterday we were bummed thinking that our motel was in the middle of nowhere, but low and behold, we are in between Minneapolis and St. Paul, a perfect location to catch a bus to either city. Who would have known?


Our goal today was to get somewhere. We caught the bus into Minneapolis $1.75 for me $.75 for Bob and then transferred to the light rail to MALL OF AMERICA! On the way we cruised through the University of Minnesota campus - filled with brick buildings, looking very academic. I wanted to jump off the bus when I saw the campus bookstore - the best places, ever.
The light rail was a dream. It travels through downtown Minneapolis, to the airport, and ends/begins at the Mall, fast, quiet, reliable. Our transfer worked on the rail, but actually the rail works on a trust system. You buy a ticket or have a transfer, but no one checks - just have it handy if someone does ask. Looked like people were buying tickets. We needed one for the bus anyway.

Bob figured there were more people at the Mall than in the State of Wyoming! At first he sat in the food court (our game plan: I run around while he enjoys hot coffee, a scone, and his book) near the amusement park, but soon he called me to rescue him from all the excited children.
While I was on my shopping mission I had scoped out some upholstered lounge chairs on the first floor far away from Bubba's, Mc Donald's, and the Ferris Wheel, near Macy's, Chico's, and yes, Coldwater Creek, he was much happier!
Like the Minnesota motto "Minnesota Nice" - (Jean we haven't seen a sign yet, but we concur)


I found all my favorite stores and much more, an oxygen store - not for medical use, but an airy high; an ace flying arcade (I tried talking Bob into hanging out there). I made it to all 4 floors by zigzagging checking out the wares. Fun!


Our return trip was the same price. During rush hour the fares jump to $2.25 each. But we bought ours before the 3 o'clock increase and returned using the cheaper fare - even though we weren't on the bus until after 3:30.
Bob and I are happy travelers again. The trick is asking questions, studying maps, and be willing to try something new if Plan A doesn't work out. We are public transit fans.

We walked to a local roadhouse, Gabe's, which provides a shuttle to the games - a big air-conditioned bus! We had Walleye fingers, a Minnesota food. (thanks Jean for the head's up) The place was loaded with beer drinkers and sports fans - a table of oldsters who travel to big league games throughout the midwest.


Bob did a good job walking today, a total of 1 mile just to eat dinner - not counting the Mall stroll.


Tomorrow we head for St. Paul now that we know the way.






3 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm glad you are enjoying Mn. Have you seen any of the lakes that in and around Minneapolis? I never thought that St. Paul was as interesting as Minneapolis. There is a small place by the U of M called Dinky Town. I use to live there when I attended the U. I knew you would enjoy the Walleye, and the Mall of Am. Love the blog. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having the kind of adventure anyone would enjoy! So what are Walleye? I also like the idea of families traveling together by train. Like a moving family reunion!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Great to hear from you two! Syl, Walleye is a fish caught in Lake Michigan. It is really good - we had it as an appetizer fried, of course. I think you ought to check into a Flores reunion.

    Jean, We saw Dinky Town on the map - loved the campus. We aren't getting too far off the beaten path since we are relying mostly on buses - and the whole process does tire Bob out. We are staying near tech companies - no neighborhood to haunt.

    I'm ready to run around - it will be good to get to Glacier where I'll go hiking with the elders and use up some of this energy.

    ReplyDelete